PART 1 OF THE COURSE IS A PREREQUISITE FOR PART 2.
YOU MUST HAVE TAKEN PART 1 OF THE COURSE IN 2023 OR 2024 TO REGISTER FOR PART 2.
The Early Ortho Intervention Pathway is a 2 part course which will cover early intervention therapy in the primary and early mixed dentition, through the late mixed dentition.
Part I of this course will cover phase I therapy for expansion including types of expanders, the research on their use and proper protocols, and introduce a hands-on component for band fitting and appliance insertion. Expanders covered will include Hyrax, bonded, Hass, and removable. We will also cover use and protocols of anterior crossbite correction with reverse-pull headgear. The second day of the course will cover functional appliances and class II correctors in the late mixed dentition. Some examples of covered appliances include Twin block, Mara, and Herbst. Some examples of class II correctors reviewed will include class II elastics, Forsus, and Carriere to name a few. We will review the research on functional appliances and class II correction, expectations for dental versus skeletal change, and when it is appropriate to implement each. On the final day we will review clear aligner mechanics for early intervention and allow time for course review/final questions.
- Gain confidence in understanding what phase I interventions are available and when each is indicated and appropriate for initial therapy.
- Understand what functional appliances and class II correctors can and should be implemented including protocols for their use.
- From the hands-on component, feel comfortable returning to your office and ordering and placing expanders.
- Learn when clear aligner is an appropriate tool for early intervention and mechanics to make your treatment more efficient and effective.
Part II of this course will be focusing on reviewing appropriate records taking where you’ll gain invaluable insights into the key factors that will influence your diagnosis and learn why each record is essential, including how to leverage each component to elevate your treatment planning.
Then, from the same records, knowing when it’s appropriate to:
- bond centrals and laterals/have a 2x4 appliance after expansion
- use class II correctors
- class III correctors
- headgear details
- Gain confidence in applying the knowledge learned in this pathway in treatment planning real life early ortho intervention cases - whether it is for a patient who has straight-forward orthodontic needs or whether it is for a patient who has a complex airway, sleep, and craniofacial risk factors.
- Gain hands on skills in Class II and III mechanics including RPFM and Carriere Motion appliance in combination with clear aligners or braces.
- Learn how to place brackets, wires and bands on a model, as well as placing a 2x4 bracket configuration and when to apply this in early orthodontic intervention.
Protech Dental Studio
1890 Preston White Dr #300
Reston, VA 20191